Why conduct a code audit?
Organizations have various reasons for conducting a source code audit. Whether it's to gain insight into the overall status or quality (independent assessment), or to perform an audit in response to a request for 'taking over' software. Therefore, there are different reasons for a code audit that we encounter in practice;
- Doubts about the quality and security of the code
- Doubts about scalability and maintainability
- Obtaining a general status
- Assessing the costs for redevelopment
- Evaluating the costs and steps for takeover management
A code audit thus offers valuable insights. Our audits assist in obtaining insight and assessing overall quality.
Types of Code Audits at SST Software
With our extensive knowledge in software solutions, we are capable of conducting source code audits across a wide range of languages and techniques. Our expertise includes, but is not limited to:
- Various programming languages: PHP, Java/Kotlin, Swift, .NET, Python, C/C++
- Overall architecture: the overarching structure and coherence of the software design
- Security: potential security risks and vulnerabilities
- Maintainability: the degree of maintenance, adaptation, and expansion required
We offer two types of audits: the Quickscan audit and the Customized audit. Depending on your desires and needs, we choose an audit that suits them.
During the Quickscan, we perform a standard code audit consisting of various components. This audit is completed in one working day and results in a comprehensive management report covering the following topics:
- Code quality
- Development best practices
- Regelgeving & licenties
Would you like to know more about what these topics entail and how we assess them? Read more here.
The Quickscan is suitable for mapping out the general status and quality of a project, as well as assessing its security and scalability.
In addition to a standard source code audit, we can also analyze specific issues for you, such as:
- Cost estimate for redevelopment
- Indication for management takeover
- Analysis of multiple applications
- Analysis of different architectures
The output of this audit is also customized and can range from: a quote (valuation, redevelopment), a complete action plan (management takeover) to an extensive management report.
Price: based on the assignment
Why choose a source code audit from SST Software?
At SST, we are able to look at an application objectively. We understand various methods and are aware
that there isn't always just one path to Rome. We conduct an audit based on the nature of the
application and tailor our assessment accordingly.
We are ready to assist you with:
- An experienced team of senior software engineers and experts
- Thorough analysis of source code and project status
- Customized audits for a wide range of software solutions
- A reliable partner for improved software performance
request code audit
Read more about our criteria
Toelichting:Complete, clear and up-to-date documentation is important to understand the software, properly design extensions and carry out safe maintenance.
- Architecture documented
- Functionality documented
- Integrations documented
- In-code comments sufficient
Toelichting:Software that is neatly written, adheres to prescribed structures and is constructed in an efficient and robust manner contributes to future-proofing and maintainability.
- Code quality scan
- Senior Software Engineer Assessment
Toelichting:Sufficient tests and test data ensure that extensions are easier and faster to develop and that updates can be performed more safely.
- Types of tests
- Quality of tests
- Code coverage
- Test data
Development best practices
Toelichting:To understand old code and introduce new developers, it is important that several best practices are followed.
- Versioning correct and traceable
- Data migrations
- Code style
Toelichting:In addition to the code itself, a modern, complete and well-documented infrastructure is also important for future-proofing and stability. This way, updates can be safely tested and rolled out to a secure production environment.
- Infrastructure documented
- Infrastructure up to date
- Deploy strategy
- OTAP street available
Toelichting:Software is constantly a target of hacking attempts. Security is one of the most important aspects of modern software development.
- Potential vulnerabilities in code
- Dependencies with possible vulnerabilities
- Security by design
Toelichting:Outdated software can be difficult to maintain. Supplier support may have ended and Software Engineers are often already used to modern and therefore better and more efficient code.
- Technology stack up-to-date
- Dependencies up-to-date
- Modern code
Regulations and licensing
Toelichting:Particularly with custom software, it is often forgotten to think about licenses and their impact. Old systems in particular often lag behind current legislation.
- Licenses in order
- Special legislation and regulations